Tin and Mercury, Gilt and Glass
by Lane Robins
42 facts about my wife, Marie:
1) Marie was born in St. Paul, Minnesota, in 1984.
2) She has blue eyes, and brown hair that falls just below her shoulders, not quite wavy, not quite straight. Her features are regular and even, though her upper lip is a little short and always bares her teeth.
3) We met five years ago during a dull business conference mixer. I thought she had a wonderful smile, especially when she turned it toward me.
4) She works as an actuary at a national insurance corporation, crunching people into statistics.
5) We moved to St. Louis together a month after we met. We rent our house, a brick ranch-style with a small front lawn.
6) She has three indistinguishable friends--Jennifer, Linda, and Patricia--called-Patsy--with whom she attends book club readings, gym classes, and goes out for lunch.
7) We were married at City Hall four years ago. I brought her pink lilies which made me sneeze, and she wore a white dress. We had a small reception with her family and mine, a few friends. It was the best day of my life.
8) She stands 5'5" in bare feet, 5'7" in her work heels, and weighs 150 pounds. 20 of those pounds bother her, but not enough to prevent her from eating dessert. She's not vain. There is only one mirror in the house and it's in the bathroom.
9) We don't use birth control; we have no children.